Babies’ skin needs specific care to stay healthy. If you want to know what they are, don’t miss this post.
Babies have much thinner and more delicate skin than adults. In addition, some of its functions are not fully developed yet, for example, it costs them more to maintain temperature control and they have a lower content of fatty acids that prevent it from adequately fulfilling its function of defensive barrier.
That is why it is very important that you pay more attention to the care and products you choose for it. Hygiene is essential and you must be very careful, both when bathing and cleaning the diaper area, to avoid irritation and dermatitis.
WHAT YOU MUST NOT DO
- Abusing the baths : the bath should be short, no more than 5 minutes, with warm water.
- Dry by rubbing the skin : drying should be done with gentle touches, without dragging, so as not to irritate your delicate skin.
- Use irritating fabrics : the baby’s clothes will preferably be made of cotton, avoiding synthetic fabrics, wool, etc., which can more easily cause itching or irritation.
- Wash clothes with aggressive detergents : when washing the baby’s clothes, it is advisable to use specific soaps, because if aggressive detergents are used, residues may remain on the clothes and cause irritation. After washing, rinse your clothes very well.
- Abusing fabric softener : fabric softeners can cause irritation or alter the pH of the skin of children.
- Extreme temperatures : the skin of babies is not yet able to regulate body temperature correctly and that is why we should not subject it to cold or heat. Make sure it is at a more or less stable temperature.
- Too dry environments: very dry environments due to the weather, or the use of heating and / or air conditioning, favor dehydration of the skin.
- Inappropriate hygiene products : it is important to choose specific products for babies, without aggressive detergents and with a suitable pH that helps protect your skin.
- Cosmetics with irritant active ingredients : some active ingredients, such as alcohol or certain perfumes, are irritating to finer skin such as those of babies.
- Neglecting the care of the nails : nails grow very fast and with them long they can scratch, so you should be aware and keep them short and straight.
1 What soap is best for the newborn baby?
A gentle, baby-specific soap such as JOHNSON’S® Baby Liquid Baby Bath is recommended for effective cleansing. Most health professionals recommend bathing newborns 2-3 times a week and increasing the frequency as your baby grows.
2 How to lubricate the skin of a newborn?
towel and liquid petroleum jelly. Techniques: moisten the cotton swabs with lukewarm water and pass them over the newborn’s body from head to feet, then pat dry and lubricate the skin with petroleum jelly if required. mainly in folds of hands and feet.
3 What is good for the skin of the newborn?
Keys to caring for your newborn baby’s skin
- Clean with neutral soaps.
- Daily bathing is not necessary.
- Antiseptics should not be abused.
- Use moisturizing lotions after bathing.
- Be careful with the applied products.
- Prepared without alkalis to change the diaper.
- Prevent sun exposure.
- Run away from high and low temperatures.
4 What is needed for the hygiene of a baby?
Personal hygiene products: shampoo, cream, toothpaste, toothbrush and deodorant, among others.
For the baby:
- Two T-shirts.
- Three rompers.
- A blanket.
- Cleaning products for the baby such as liquid bath, wet wipes and cream to protect the baby’s bottom.
5 What is the best soap for washing baby clothes?
We can choose a neutral coconut washing soap, a neutral white soap or some special liquid soap for babies or delicate clothes. … Do not confuse baby soap with “baby scented” products. To use white soap in the washing machine, we can grate it and place it in the corresponding drawer.
THE BASIC PRODUCTS YOU NEED
To take care of your baby’s skin and keep it in good condition, free from itching, irritation and other problems, we recommend using the following products.
SOAP WITHOUT DETERGENT
It is appropriate to use syndet soaps (without detergents) that gently cleanse the baby’s skin without removing the hydrolipidic layer. As your skin is deficient in fatty acids, the ideal is to use a soap that is also super-greasing .In different phrases, to give you the lipids which can be scarce in your pores and skin..
In addition, it is very important that the soap has an adequate pH, close to 5.5, since the skin of babies is a little less acidic. For this reason it is not as protected against external agents and by using a soap with a suitable pH we partially compensate for that alkalinity.
For the hygiene of the baby’s head, we advise you to use a specific shampoo, which is very mild and does not irritate the scalp .
In the event that cradle cap appears, you should use a suitable shampoo to help remove it.
MOISTURIZING AND / OR BODY EMOLLIENT
Use milks , lotions, oils or creams after bathing, preferably with slightly damp skin. You can take advantage of the moment to give it a small massage that, on the one hand, will help the emollient to be better absorbed. On the other, it will be a moment of bonding and relaxation with your baby.
You should not forget to also hydrate the facial area , especially when you go out and if it is cold.
PROTECTIVE BUTT CREAM OR BALM
It can be a water-based paste that, due to its barrier effect, will help you protect your skin from irritants, feces and urine. If not necessary, a repairing cream that soothes, regenerates and keeps your skin healthy and strong to better resist aggressive agents.
Babies have a tendency to suffer irritation in the area near the lips and nose, mainly due to the irritating effect of slime. Therefore, it is appropriate to have a protective product for that area that protects you from irritation and relieves you if it has already started.
Children under 6 months should not be exposed to the sun directly, as their skin is so delicate that they can burn very easily . When going outside, make sure that you are protected with clothing, a hat, an umbrella, etc. And if you can’t avoid sun exposure, in addition to covering it up, use an appropriate sunscreen for its age.
Use the products we recommend, follow our care guidelines and enjoy your baby and his soft and delicate skin.
Caring for the baby’s skin
Soft and delicate . These are the two main adjectives with which a baby’s skin is usually defined , two qualities that jump out at first sight due to their extreme difference from the adult. The newborn has not yet fully developed this essential organ, especially the outermost layer (stratum corneum), which is responsible for protecting it from external agents that can affect the child’s sensitive skin . In addition to the lesser thickness of its outer layer , this skin is also differentiated by its level of acidity, which at birth is lower than that of adults: its pH is neutral .
These particularities make it more vulnerable during the first months of life, so that it requires “appropriate care for its characteristics,” says the India Association of Pediatrics (AEP). Here are six frequently asked questions to take care of your child’s skin during bathing , one of the key moments to protect this important defensive barrier for children.
What is the best soap for washing your face?
Know the best soaps for the face
- 2.1 Revitalize. Pure sulfur soap.
- 2.2 Natura Siberica Detox Nordic Black Soap.
- 2.3 AHAVA Sludge Purifying Soap.
- 2.4 LDREAMAM.
- 2.5 Black Cumin Soap.
- 2.6 Everything For You Aleppo soap.
- 2.7 De Nuonove Acne Exfoliating Soap.
- 2.8 SEGMINISMART Sea Salt Soap.
What cream can you put on a baby’s face?
In this case, you can choose the Hydra baby face cream, a moisturizing face cream that can be used from birth. It has 86% ingredients of natural origin. It acts by hydrating immediately and lastingly while reinforcing the skin barrier, leaving the skin silky, flexible and softer.
What is the skin of a newborn like?
Information. At birth, a newborn’s skin has: Deep reddish or purple skin and purple hands and feet. The skin darkens before the baby takes its first breath (when she releases that vigorous initial cry).
When can I give my baby cream?
From six months, you can start applying a factor 50 cream, with a special formula for children
What is newborn hygiene?
The newborn needs to keep the skin on the bottom clean and dry to avoid irritation. The use of wipes should be minimized and, instead, the use of the sponge with warm water or a specific cleansing milk should be prioritized.